7 Tips To Staying Healthy and Stress-Free During The Holidays
Oct 02, 2018
The holiday season is full of festive events, good food and cherished memories. However, it can also be a time for more stress, unhealthy eating and getting sick. Stress causes weight gain, can lead to bad food and drink choices and decreases our productivity.
"Stress is the ultimate energy and well-being killer. The more energy someone has, the more likely they are to be happy and climb to the top of their primary field of interest." - Brendon Bruchard
Wouldn't it feel empowering to go into the holiday season with the knowledge you need to make smart choices, ones you won't regret?
Let's keep it simple by incorporating these 7 tips that will help you stay focused on your health and not get caught up in the holiday craziness this year!
TIP #1: ADJUST YOUR MINDSET
- Take the stress out of losing weight during the holidays by focusing on maintaining your weight instead of losing weight.
- Create a realistic, maintainable routine that fits your lifestyle. This is a busy time so set yourself up for success and celebrate your wins.
- Allow yourself to enjoy the holiday festivities, don't beat yourself up! Just be diligent on eating healthy when you aren't celebrating.
TIP #2: INDULGE WITHOUT OVERDOING IT
- Never go to a party hungry! Eat fiber-rich foods that will keep you full; a superfood shake (Shakeology is my favorite), sweet potatoes, avocado and hummus are some great choices.
- Avoid hovering over the food table. Fill up 1 plate and don't go back for more!
- What are you craving? Pick your treats wisely and savor every bite. There's no need for seconds, eat it and leave it!
TIP #3: STAY ACTIVE
- Aim to exercise 4-5x's a week! Before work is ideal (20-30 minutes is all you need). Consider in-home workouts like Beachbody on Demand to save you time.
- At work take breaks away from your desk. Go for a walk and eat your food away from your computer.
- Exercise is the best way to lower your stress. Participate in activities that you enjoy, make it fun (i.e. hiking, bike riding, long walks, playing baseball, etc).
TIP #4: HYDRATE YOUR LIFE
- Drink 8 ounces of water upon waking up, before coffee!
- Water decreases fatigue, it's imperative to drink half of your body weight in ounces daily!
- Use an app and a large water bottle to help you track your water intake.
TIP #5: SAY NO, MORE THAN YOU SAY YES
- It's ok to say no, you can't do it all! Avoid overwhelm, don't spread yourself too thin.
- "It's only by saying "no" that you can concentrate on the things that are really important." - Steve Jobs
- Being busy is a false sense of being productive. Say no to the things that do not align with your priorities.
TIP #6: AVOID "ON THE GO LIVING"
- Our mornings are often the most hectic and rushed part of the day. The alarm clock goes off and then it’s go time, I call this "on the go living". Create a simple morning ritual that will allow yourself 20-30 minutes of quiet time first thing in the morning.
- The night before, plan out your meals, lay out your clothes, fill your water bottle. Every second counts.
- Avoid distractions that make you feel frazzled - no emails, text, social media first thing in the morning. Put your phone in airplane mode if you are tempted to look at it before your morning ritual.
TIP #7: SCHEDULE TIME FOR YOU
Schedule "me time" to your calendar and color code it, don't skip it!
- Add your workouts into your calendar and treat them like important meetings you cannot miss.
Plan vacations, date nights and family time at the end of the day. This will give you something to look forward to and keep you motivated each day!
These 7 tips can be simple to implement if you have a plan! Take a moment to envision how you physically and emotionally want to feel this holiday season. Then write down 3-5 things you can do now that will help you create a healthy routine before the holiday madness begins. Add these goals to your calendar, make it fun and simple!
If you are looking for support, accountability and a customized fitness plan that works with your schedule, let's set up a FREE 20 minute coaching call!
I offer health assessments and I run virtual accountability groups each month that will help keep you accountable and on track for the holidays.
CLICK HERE to get started by taking a health assessment and scheduling your call.
P.S. Be sure to join my private Facebook community, Stress Free and Balanced Life. I share tips on managing stress, exercise, nutrition, and much more!
SIGN ME UP!
Did You Get Your FREE Meal Prep Guide?
If you're too busy to eat nutritiously, this free guide will help you make a plan on the best foods to eat, and help you track your progress so you can feel your best.
Click the button below to sign up right now!