America's birthday is the biggest birthday celebration of the year!
Sunshine! Barbecues! Fireworks! Who doesn’t love a good Independence celebration? To many of us it’s not just about celebrating our great nation and proudly displaying red, white and blue but it’s also about spending time with family and friends, being outdoors and of course seeing the fireworks!
We can still have fun and enjoy the holiday while playing it smart! Go into the day with a plan so you wake up the next day without a huge food, sun and alcohol hangover.
Here are my top five 4th of July survival tips:
1. Wear Sunscreen: this may seem like common sense but why is it that the majority of us look like a lobster the next day? Take care of your skin! Start off by applying sunscreen LOTION (at least SPF 30 or above). Take spray sunscreen to reapply throughout the day. By applying a base layer of lotion, then reapplying every 3 hours with a spray, you'll be protected better. Oh and don't forget your lovely face!
2. Hydrate All Day: drink 32 ounces of water BEFORE your 4th of July plans. If you plan to drink alcohol, alternate between a glass of water and an adult beverage. You will avoid heat exhaustion caused by dehydration (which is no fun) and hopefully a hangover.
3. Have a Workout Plan: the day before is an excellent time for a cardio workout. Go for a run, long walk, bike ride, etc. Try to burn over 400 calories. On the 4th, step up the strength training. Aim for higher reps and shorter rest while lifting weights. This will put you into caloric burn mode which will allow you to take in a higher level of carbs without having them turn into fat. The day after do interval training to get your heart pumping. Focus on HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) doing a combination of lifting and cardio.
CLICK HERE for a FREE no non-sense HIIT training workout that is only 30 minutes long! This exciting new program helps you create a fitness routine that works with YOUR lifestyle.
4. Eat a Satisfying Breakfast: before you head out for the day, it's vital to eat a healthy satisfying meal at home! It should consist of protein, complex carbs, veggies and a healthy fat! Never go to an event on an empty stomach because you are more likely to make bad choices! Check out my breakfast Pinterest Board for more ideas.
5. Skip Sugary Desserts: Nature's candy is at it's finest in the summer. There are tons of fresh fruits available to enjoy for dessert rather than sugary sweets! Cut up strawberries and melon or grill peaches, pineapple or bananas to satisfy your sweet tooth without adding unnecessary processed sugar.
I hope you use this 4th of July Survival Guide and enjoy the holiday! Be safe, have fun and stay present with your loved ones.
Oh and if you are looking for a great way to get into shape this summer and burn off those extra holiday calories, I'm running a July Shred online accountability group that starts on 7/9! It's the perfect way to get support for your health and fitness goals. I will help you create a better balanced lifestyle so you can live healthier and happier. To get started, head over to my Facebook Event Page or shoot me an email and we'll set up a free coaching call so we can see if this group would be the right fit for you.
P.S. Be sure to join my private Facebook community, Stress Free and Balanced Life. I share tips on managing stress, exercise, nutrition, and much more!
If you're too busy to eat nutritiously, this free guide will help you make a plan on the best foods to eat, and help you track your progress so you can feel your best.
Click the button below to sign up right now!